Ballots are out and it’s time to vote! Please remember to cast your vote- no stamp is needed but all ballots must be postmarked by November 8th, 2022, so it’s best practice to get them in before the 8th to be sure your vote is counted. There is also a drop-box at City Hall in Umatilla.
Here’s the links from all the questions and answer sessions, with direct links to specific questions, so you can make your final decisions.
- Why now? Watch at the 23 second mark
- How was this plan developed? Watch at the 2:19 mark
- What are the detailed costs? Watch at the 3:02 mark
- What would the proposed bond do? Watch at the 3:40 mark
- What would the proposed bond cost taxpayers? Watch at the 9:43 mark
- Why are the examples of an assessed value so much lower than actual home sales prices? Watch at the 11:47 mark
- How do I calculate what the proposed bond would cost for my home? Watch at the 13:41 mark and look up your assessed value here and choose "search by address" if you don't know your parcel number
- Why isn't Amazon paying for the proposed bond? Watch at the 0:40 mark.Myth Buster- Do you think Amazon doesn't pay General Obligation bonds in Umatilla? Watch at the 4:40 mark.
- Why does the District advertise $1.19/1,000 of assessed value if the rate is expected to drop with the new Amazon facilities? Watch at 9:52 mark.
- How has enrollment changed? Watch at the 12:58 mark.
- How will the District handle growth beyond the proposed buildings? Watch at the 16:30 mark.
- Why can't the District just write a grant to build a new school? Watch at the 17:54 mark.
- Are bonds at a fixed interest rate? Watch at the 19:40 mark.
- Why can't the District build a new school with their existing budget? Watch at the 23:29 mark.
- Why a new 4-6 building instead of another K-5? Watch at the 25:33 mark.
- How will busing be handled? Watch at the 29:49 mark.
- If the bond is proposed, why the school already breaking ground? Watch at the 32:04 mark.
- How will the cemetery be protected? Watch at the 34:36 mark.
- What about Powerline Road? Watch at the 2:08 mark
- For the estimated cost numbers summarized in one place watch at the 5:36 mark
- Have questions about shop classes? Watch at the 13 second mark here
How does Umatilla's bond compare to other communities? Watch at the 1:56 mark here
- Why not just add more modulars? Watch at the 21 mark here
- Final thoughts from City Manager Stockdale, Board Chair Lorence and Superintendent Sipe at the 36:52 mark.
As always, I’ll also answer questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Heidi Sipe, EdS